With a full summer ahead, I’m sure you’re wondering “How do I keep my kids entertained?” In a child’s eyes, summer can be full of freedom and fun. The last thing you want your kids to do is spend all this free time glued to the TV!
Summer can be an amazing time to encourage kids to explore, try new things, build relationships, continue learning, and so much more. It’s important to utilize this time with you children.
“Summer will end soon enough, and childhood as well.” ― George R.R. Martin
Research shows that many children will lose some of the knowledge gained during the school year, during the summer months. It’s vitally important for kids to keep learning during this break from school. As a parent you can facilitate this in a lot of different ways! Here’s some great ideas to keep your youngsters learning and growing all summer long.
These are a great resource in which kids can learn from structured activities that are a lot of fun, not to mention educational. There are hundreds of resources throughout Utah for summer camps, depending on interest, price, and length of time.
- Discovery Gateway has a lot of options to offer! Check out what camps are still available:
Girls Go Digital Summer Camp hosted by Junior Achievement City
Learn how to HACK, DESIGN, CODE & MAKE using technology and computer science. Any level of interest and experience is welcome.
June 27 – 30 | Girls ages 8-18
Register today! https://www.girlsgodigital.org/
Learn all about the moviemaking process through the science of lighting and sound design, and the art of costumes and scenery. Write, direct, design and perform your own short movie with your fellow campers! Get ready for your big debut during the movie premier on Friday night with parents and guardians in the audience!
July 25 – 29 | Ages 8-11
8 am – 5 pm
Register in person or online
- You can find nearly every other summer camp out there by visiting this site!
- On your mark, get set, READ! Connect with your libraries summer reading program, not only can you read some great books. Many libraries also have weekly activities for your family to enjoy! Find your local library here.
- Free summer lunches are happening across the state at a variety of locations. These lunches provide nutritious food and a chance to socialize with your community. Find the closest one to you by clicking here.
- There are lots of other great activities going on within your community all summer long. Click here to find some of our favorite summer activities around the state.
Activities to do on your own
- Play Unplugged! Spend time having fun, exploring, and connecting with agencies in your community by collecting Brag Badges with your children. This is a fun and free way to keep busy and try new things! Find more info here.
- Check out Help Me Grow Utah’s Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for ongoing activity ideas throughout the summer.
Have even more questions about how to keep your summer fun for the whole family? Contact Help Me Grow Utah by visiting our website or dialing 2-1-1 and asking for Help Me Grow.